Huge thanks to everyone who’s contributed their last minute words of wisdom for all hitting Newcastle-South Shields this weekend. Some cracking tips – and all in 140 Characters or less!!
If you’ve any more please keep Tweeting #GNRTip and follow ours too @WallsendHarrier
Thanks everyone – best of luck and enjoy
1. Lots of water, all week, is a really good idea
2. Fantastic website for Great North Run weather watching www.magicseaweed.com
3. There are extra metros this Sunday but please leave plenty of time as it'll be busy http://bit.ly/qY9arV
4. Take warm clothes to ditch at start - It always seems cold hanging about for so long those old jumpers are a God send on racedays
5. SpaggyBol is the undisputed King of Saturday night meals
6. Remember to put stuff in your bag for the end - food for recovery and a change of clothes will be a must
7. Put your timing clip on shoe night before
8. Do not try to iron your name onto vest after attaching your race number!
9. Make sure your toe nails are short enough ..... But not too short!!
10. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone - wear something you're finished with - the clothes you leave at the start all go to charity!
11. Write your name on your vest and leave your music at home ENJOY!
12. If you need the boost, write your name on your top - it's amazing how many people will give you a shout.
13. Know the course! If you know where the hills and the water stops are you can use them to break up the race
14. Dont change too much! Have a normal breakfast a while before the start And dont eat or drink things youre not used to
15. Resist the temptation to walk loads on Saturday by going to Great City Games on the Quayside
16. Be prepared for a lot of waiting around before and after the run
17. Plan to allow plenty of time to get there, drop bag etc. and then allow a bit more.....
18. Park your car in North Shields and get metro to start. Then when you finish youre just across ferry to your car for a quick getaway
19. Porridge with banana in the morning but remeber to give yourself plenty of time to digest your breakfast before you leave the house
20. Always hottest day of year. Carry water but get new bottle @ next water station. Stops you dehydrating.
21. Pick out people running ahead of you - then chase them down!
22. When you see water stations dont head straight across with the crowdstheyll slow you down. Theyre long so no need to rush for water
23. As a rough rule you get less stuck behind people if you run at the side of the road
24. There were extra loos on Exhibition Park last year with NO queues - might be worth a warm up jog over
25. The queues for the loos at the start are GINORMOUS - be warned!
26. Toilet queues really are unbelievable, so ladies, take something that you can cover yourslf with to squat in the bushes
27. If you're running for a reason, be prepared for a lump in your throat at the start
28. Don’t get carried away at start - it’s easy to do as its downhill to mile 1.5 you’ll suffer later at around 8 mile if you go out too hard
29. If in 'Mass' Start dont get too excited & start running when everybody sets off you'll quickly have to stop & walk again for 200m
30. Try not to waste energy doing short sprints to pass people - if you've never done a Fartlek session racedayisnt the time to start
31. Look out for the Jelly Babies, a very welcome sugar boost.
32. Be prepared for never-ending hill that is John Reid Rd
33. Double check the liquid that those angelic kids are offering you is water!
34. Stick to left at start to gan low & experience OggyOggyOggys under the flyover & amazing sound of 1000s of feet echoing on tarmac
35. Go under the Central Motorway not over it - one less hill to combat!
36. Respect the distance, don't get carried away with the atmosphere at the start and keep it steady until Heworth Metro.
37. Don’t dodge & weave at the beginning even if everyone's going slow PLENTY OF TIME to speed up later.
38. Relax and enjoy. Sounds silly, and unrealistic, but take time to take in the atmosphere
39. Sing to all the bands and use the novelty shower cubicles...enjoy everything!
40. If you’re starting to fade towards the end try not to rest between 9-10 if you can cos 10.5-11.5 is all uphill - plan rest ahead
41. The 800, 400 and 200 yards to go signs are a lie! They always seem much, much further away than they should be!
42. 12mile mark everyone shouts "1 more mile to go!" It's the toughest mile so save your legs till nearer the end
43. When you hit the coast and hang a sharp left there is still a hell of a long way to go - don't kick too soon
44. Unless you're used to it avoid the Lucozade gel they hand out toward the end of the race
45. Don't get too excited when you turn the corner on the seafront - there's still a long way to go!
46. Head to the beach and have a paddle in the sea afters the finish. It's good for aching calves and gets you away from the crowds
47. Have an exit strategy worked out ahead! Where are u gonna meet people and how are u getting out of South Shields - it'll be busy!
48. Allow at least enough extra cash in your bag to cover a Greggs pasty if you have to stand in the metro queue at the end
49. Just remember that you paid £50 plus travel and got yourself up early to run so enjoy it applaud the bands do the ‘Oggy, Oggy, Oggy’ and High-5 the kids
50. Enjoy the day, Enjoy the atmosphere, Get safely to South Shields
And last but by no means least...
@JoPavey : tip for GNR: make sure you lay your kit out the night before so you can be more relaxed on race morning
@BartYasso :54,000 runners in a half marathon is amazing, negative splits would be my tip
Good luck to all and sundry about to set out on their 13.1 mile trip from Newcastle to ‘Shields on Sundi.